Tuesday, July 17, 2007

DESIGNER PROTEIN BARS



7 scoops Designer Protein (available from GNC), Chocolate flavor (2 1/3 cups) 122.5 P, 10.5 C
1/2 cup melted butter
4 oz cream cheese, 8P, 4C
1/2 cup walnuts, 10P, 5C

**My note: these are not very sweet, so add some Splenda or other sweetener to taste if you want them sweet.

Melt butter and cream cheese.
Mix in Designer Protein. This will be pretty stiff.
Stir in the walnuts.
Press in bread pan, refrigerate, cut into 8 servings, wrap individually and store in refrig.
(**helps to spray hands with Pam and I also spray the pan) I
have made some changes that you may or may not want to try: I use a 7 cup Rubbermaid 'save N serve' container, spray with pam, chill, cut into bars about 1 1/4" wide by 2 1/2 to 3" long and approx. 1/2" thick.
I get more than 8 and have not figured the carb count for each bar. They are plenty big and very filling. I also sometimes use 2 oz of sunflower seeds (6 carbs) instead of the walnuts.
I spray my container and hands with Pam to prevent possible sticking.
I chill, cut the bars, place on a tray and quick freeze, then return them to the original container and store in the freezer.
The bars thaw very fast when I'm ready to eat and actually are good partly frozen too.
I have experimented with plain Designer Protein Powder and added Maple and walnuts and they were very good. Carb count for the original recipe of 8 bars: total Protein 140.5, Protein per bar 17.5, Total carbs 19.5, carbs per bar 2.43. From Dottie.
P= protein; C=carb.

1 comment:

Moby Dick said...

Sounds like a great recipe, and I am going to try it out!