Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Gooey Ham and Cheese

My mother used to make this spread, and used it to fill finger rolls--little rolls like half-size hot dog buns, with some kind of seeds sprinkled on top. She called them Gooey Buns, and made them for teas, luncheons, showers, and by the dozens for church youth group activities. I have adapted them for the low carb life style.

1 can Spam, grated
1 lb. sharp cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup or more salad olives with pimentos, grated
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
ground pepper to taste
1 stick butter
1 pkg. pork rinds, plain or flavored (I like the barbecue flavor)

Melt the butter and add the seasonings.
Grate the cheese, Spam, and olives, or use your food processor. The result should be rough, not a smooth paste, so don't overprocess.
Combine with the seasoned butter and mix well.
Cover a plate with a layer of pork rinds and then a layer of the mixture.
Broil until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Serve hot.

Another way to use this mixture is in an omelet--yum!

If your kids are not low carbing, fill some hot dog buns with the mixture and bake in a hot oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Impressora e Multifuncional, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://impressora-multifuncional.blogspot.com. A hug.

Mama said...

Oh, I'm very excited to find this site, Jan! Right up my alley as I'm changing our eating style around here. Good recipes wanted, for sure!

I'll probably be up all night. lol